Talks about HYPERTHYROIDISM on 20/12/16 (for educational purposes, in Mandarin, copyright ntv7)
Talks about NECK SWELLING on 2/1/15 (for educational purposes, in BM, copyright TV9)
Talks about THYROID on 6/12/16 (for educational purposes, in BM, copyright TV3)
  Effects of too much thyroxine (hyperthyroidism) on the eyes: “staring” look, bulging eyes to the extent of difficulty closing the eyes (last pic)  © Vincent Tan ENT
(opens in new window)
Symptoms of thyroid imbalance - hyper- or hypothyroidism ? Commonly one can also have dysfunctional hormone production. Learn to recognise those symptoms : Common causes of hyperthyroidism: There are many causes of hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism - something your clinician will have to identify to give the patient the best outcome. There are blood tests and ultrasound scan that the patient needs to undergo for that purpose. Graves' disease, an autoimmune disorder in which your immune system specific antibody stimulates your thyroid gland to overproduce the thyroid hormone. This is the commonest cause. Thyroid nodules which autonomously produce too much thyroid hormone leading to hyperthyroidism. Thyroiditis, inflammation of the thyroid which can be caused by viral or bacterial infection. Too much thyroid medicine. This can happen if people who take thyroid hormone medicine for hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) take too much of it.
What does uncontrolled hyperthyroidism (of Grave’s disease) look like on the ultrasound scan ? INFERNO means a large fire that is dangerously out of control. So what is “Thyroid inferno”? Ultrasound is commonly done to assess the thyroid gland. Color Doppler is used to study the vascularity of the thyroid gland and any mass within. Grave’s disease refers to the common autoimmune condition which causes hyperthyroidism, a condition which caused increased vascularity within the gland. Thyroid inferno refers to the color Doppler appearance of the thyroid gland in active Grave’s disease and consists of multiple small areas of color flow seen diffusely throughout the gland representing increased vascularity and arteriovenous shunting. Grave’s disease is usually treated with medications (antithyroid or radioactive iodine). Surgical removal of the whole gland (total thyroidectomy) is not commonly done for Grave’s disease unless it is so large that it causes compressive symptoms, or not controllable with the above medications.
HYPERTHYROIDISM CAN OCCUR IN CHILDREN TOO A single swelling or lump (nodule) in the thyroid gland is a special form of goitre. The majority (90%) of the nodules are not cancerous but either simple swellings of fluid (cysts) or benign growths of thyroid tissue with no tendency to spread or invade structures. The remaining 10% are usually a very low-grade form of cancer, which is almost always completely curable. There are a very small number of nodules that turn out to be a more aggressive form of thyroid cancer, these occur in special situations and are very rare.
jDCONLmDT20
Back to THYROID - PART 1
Bahasa/语文 :
DOWNLOAD OUR CONTACT DETAILS:
ENTdrvincenttan@gmail.com
+603-3377 7864 +6012-3760 728
Vincent Ear, Nose, Throat, Head and Neck Surgery Specialist Clinic, Clinic Suite 210, Level 2, KPJ Klang Specialist Hospital No.102, Persiaran Rajawali/KU 1, Bandar Baru Klang, 41150 Klang, Selangor
Mon-Fri: 930am-5pm Sat: 9am-1230pm
vincentENTHNS
3.062578,101.46332 (Google Maps, Waze: KPJ Klang, Vincent ENT)
CONTACT US
CLINIC HOURS:
Vincent ENT Clinic
vincententhns
Copyright Dr.Vincent Tan 2023
THYROID disorders
Thyroid Disorder    Hormonal Imbalance
RELATED LINKS
Head & Neck Swellings
Vocal Cord Weakness & Paralysis
Ultrasound-guided biopsy
VINCENT
Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT), Thyroid, Head and Neck
Biopsy & Surgery Specialist Clinic
Committed to YOUR Well-being
RELATED LINKS
Head & Neck Swellings
Vocal Cord Weakness & Paralysis
Ultrasound-guided biopsy
jDCONLmDT20
HYPERTHYROIDISM CAN OCCUR IN CHILDREN TOO A single swelling or lump (nodule) in the thyroid gland is a special form of goitre. The majority (90%) of the nodules are not cancerous but either simple swellings of fluid (cysts) or benign growths of thyroid tissue with no tendency to spread or invade structures. The remaining 10% are usually a very low-grade form of cancer, which is almost always completely curable. There are a very small number of nodules that turn out to be a more aggressive form of thyroid cancer, these occur in special situations and are very rare.
What does uncontrolled hyperthyroidism (of Grave’s disease) look like on the ultrasound scan ? INFERNO means a large fire that is dangerously out of control. So what is “Thyroid inferno”? Ultrasound is commonly done to assess the thyroid gland. Color Doppler is used to study the vascularity of the thyroid gland and any mass within. Grave’s disease refers to the common autoimmune condition which causes hyperthyroidism, a condition which caused increased vascularity within the gland. Thyroid inferno refers to the color Doppler appearance of the thyroid gland in active Grave’s disease and consists of multiple small areas of color flow seen diffusely throughout the gland representing increased vascularity and arteriovenous shunting. Grave’s disease is usually treated with medications (antithyroid or radioactive iodine). Surgical removal of the whole gland (total thyroidectomy) is not commonly done for Grave’s disease unless it is so large that it causes compressive symptoms, or not controllable with the above medications.
Symptoms of thyroid imbalance - hyper- or hypothyroidism ? Commonly one can also have dysfunctional hormone production. Learn to recognise those symptoms : Common causes of hyperthyroidism: There are many causes of hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism - something your clinician will have to identify to give the patient the best outcome. There are blood tests and ultrasound scan that the patient needs to undergo for that purpose. Graves' disease, an autoimmune disorder in which your immune system specific antibody stimulates your thyroid gland to overproduce the thyroid hormone. This is the commonest cause. Thyroid nodules which autonomously produce too much thyroid hormone leading to hyperthyroidism. Thyroiditis, inflammation of the thyroid which can be caused by viral or bacterial infection. Too much thyroid medicine. This can happen if people who take thyroid hormone medicine for hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) take too much of it.
(opens in new window)
Effects of too much thyroxine (hyperthyroidism) on the eyes: “staring” look, bulging eyes to the extent of difficulty closing the eyes (last pic)  © Vincent Tan ENT
Back to THYROID - PART 1
THYROID disorders
Bahasa/语文 :
Talks about HYPERTHYROIDISM on 20/12/16 (for educational purposes, in Mandarin, copyright ntv7)
Talks about NECK SWELLING on 2/1/15 (for educational purposes, in BM, copyright TV9)
Talks about THYROID on 6/12/16 (for educational purposes, in BM, copyright TV3)
Thyroid Disorder    Hormonal Imbalance
APPOINTMENT:  +603-3377 7864 +6012-3760 728 VINCENT EAR, NOSE & THROAT, THYROID , HEAD AND NECK SURGERY SPECIALIST CLINIC  VINCENT
Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT), Thyroid, Head and Neck
Biopsy & Surgery Specialist Clinic
Committed to YOUR Well-being
Copyright Dr.Vincent Tan 2023